“We are not going to treat today”
These are words that I dreaded hearing. Since starting chemo I have felt like a train, going full speed trying to get to the finish line as quickly as possible. Resigned to the process but anxious to move through it.
My fourth AC session left me feeling worse than the first three and I developed a minor cough over the weekend leading up to my first Taxol treatment and even though I felt fine, the cough wouldn’t go away. The morning of my first scheduled Taxol treatment, on June 11th, I knew that I wasn’t feeling 100% and was still battling this cough but was eager to get this next phase of treatment started.
After having my I.V. put in and getting my blood work done, I met with my oncologist. She asked how was I feeling and looked over the blood results. She said that my white blood cell count was too high and that they were not going to treat me today. I looked over at Matt and I started to cry.
Of course, I know that my doctors know best. Logically I understand that if my body is not up for it, I should not be getting chemo. But, it was extremely disheartening to hear that now everything is delayed. I had been mentally preparing myself and was ready for this next stage of treatment. Now, I would have to wait another week to get started.
Up until this moment, everything about my treatments has been really smooth. I haven’t felt horrible physically or mentally. This delay definitely hit me emotionally but after a few minutes of feeling sorry for myself I got over it. On the bright side, now I get to have one more week of feeling good before Taxol begins on the 18th.